We all have them, those days, those weeks, and sometimes even that month, of what seems to be a revolving door of well, shitiness.
I’ve came to realize there are a lot of things in life I cannot control, but there is one thing I have complete control over and that is my attitude. Recently I’ve been stuck in a sort of rut, while I’ve managed to get more active, take more time for myself and my relationship—I’ve felt a little, blah. I allowed one bad day to turn into a bad week and it was such a waste of energy to allow something else, an outside force to have that much control of my life. After a weekend of reflection I want to help you all kick as much negativity out of your life as you can.
I’ve learned that when life gives you lemons it really is better to at least attempt to make lemonade, than to let your lemons rot. When you allow yourself to be negative and dwell in your negativity it can tend to pour into all other aspects of your life. I realize that when I make comments like, “what’s next”, or “it can’t get any worse”—inevitably, it always does.
Another hard step is separating yourself from negativity and negative influences in your life. Separation does not have to be compared to abandonment, you can distance/separate yourself from someone in a loving way. You work hard to maintain balance in your life, you deserve to have emotional boundaries, and you have the power to deem what is acceptable and what is not. I think it is important that in the cases which you need to distance/separate yourself from someone in your life for these reasons, that it be done so with compassion.
So why do we get caught in these negative routines? Personally, I thought it use to be easier to remain negative, than to repair my attitude, change my mentality and stay positive. It hasn’t been a cake-walk to make a change, I never knew how negative I really was until I started to become more mindful of my thoughts and negative-like reflexes. While it might not have been easy, it has been completely worth it to see the change in the quality of my everyday life.
Kicking as much negativity as you can out of your life is key, stop being so hard on yourself, stop with the negative comments to yourself/others and consciously apply positivity to every aspect of your life that you can.
Here are a couple of steps I take to live a positive life:
- Be mindful – being mindful can be defined as being aware. When you are mindful, you are self-aware as well. Be mindful and aware of your thoughts, the things you say and the energy you expend. Mindfulness allows you to train yourself to be more present and positive each day, whether it be when you speak, eat, exercise, think, etc.
- Eliminate gossip– Stop with the gossip and speak kindly of others. As much of a cliché as this saying is, “treat others the way you want to be treated”. Don’t allow yourself to gossip to relieve boredom, or to make yourself feel better. Make a commitment to yourself to not gossip, even when the opportunity arises. Put a positive twist on the situation and change the subject, there is no need to apologize for not wanting to take part.
- See the glass half full, not half empty. You have the ability to choose whether you get stuck in something negative or to get up and see the positive in the situation. Our lives are a result of our choices, if there is something you do not like in your life, asses what needs to be changed and take those steps to change it.
- Let go– If you have pint up anger, resentment or even sadness it is important you deal with these emotions so that they don’t trickle down and affect other aspects of your life, like your happiness. Free yourself from old pain, old situations and losses. You have to let go of any resentment you have within to live freely. While this isn’t always easy either, you can take gradual steps in eliminating experiences and feelings that can hinder you from bettering yourself.
- Love yourself– accept who you are, physically, spiritually and emotionally. I have a blog post from a while back that speaks to the positive effects of self-love and the importance of being happy in your own skin. Loving yourself is truly one of the first steps in being happy
- Surround yourself with positive, like-minded people. There are always going to be negative people or people who doubt your strengths, it’s simple, screw them. Surround yourself with people who make you feel happy and bring substance to your life.
This post was a long one, but one I feel is necessary.
I hope I can inspire you all to be positive, take control of your life and be the best version of yourself you can be.