We all are at one point in our life faced with what feels like an overwhelming amount of chaos.
How you perceive or what you might call chaos is all subject to each individual but my chaos consists of juggling a full time job, a full time college schedule, maintaining a healthy relationship with my boyfriend, keeping up with bills/finances and attempting to have a social life.
What I have noticed lately is there are some really key things that I am missing in my life and that is focusing on myself, focusing on my happiness, my health and my overall wellbeing. The more I have thought about it, the more it occurs to me that everything else in my life will be much less chaotic and stressful if I was taking the time for myself, to love myself and appreciate myself.
Self-love and appreciation can be often confused as merely a feeling toward one’s self, where as I see it as a practice, an ongoing practice and constant thought of appreciating ourselves. A practice that eventually manifests into evert aspect of our lives allowing us to accept love, work and live to our full potential because we believe we deserve it.
Self-love and appreciation have come as a true revelation to me, it is changing me for the better and allowing me to live a fuller life in small steps at a time.
Even a couple months ago if someone would have told me, “stop being so hard on yourself” or “you need to love yourself more” it was immediately followed with an eye roll and a quick topic change. This is really no joke, SELF LOVE is all it is hyped up to be. That is why I encourage you all to begin, if you are not already practicing self-love and appreciation towards yourself and making it an unquestionable aspect of your life.
I am still learning more about myself each day, here are some things I have learned and ways I apply self-love and appreciation to my life.
- Be yourself, unapologetically yourself. If that means you don’t fit in who cares, or you lose some friends, do they deserve that relationship anyway? Take this one into consideration. Weeding out negative people in my life or even just separating myself from people who are not growing with me has changed my life for the better.
- Remember you are who you surround yourself with, I truly believe you carry the energy of who you hang out with. Pick your tribe, a tribe of people who love you, inspire you and motivate you to be the best version of yourself.
- Be mindful, of your thoughts and what you say, especially to yourself. Stop putting yourself down, take a damn compliment and forgive yourself, we are human, we make mistakes!
- Take care of yourself, self-care is huge and is one thing that is particularly important in my routine. Eat good foods, get good sleep, work-out or take part in physical activity, and treat yourself occasionally orrrr all the time. It is so important to meet your basic needs, so this needs to become a habit.
- Celebrate yourself, your accomplishments and your strengths. If you ACE that test or land a raise at work congratulate yourself, buy yourself a treat or just UP those positive affirmations!
- Most importantly, give yourself a break, take a day to yourself and realize that every day is not going to be your best day. Netflix & Chill with yourself or go for a hike and appreciate just how beautiful the world around you is.
I hope these help and that you are able to apply these to your lives. I find inspiration in blog posts daily, I love that we have a platform to share our thoughts and interests. Let me know in the comments how you practice self-love or if you have ever struggled with it before. Also, feel free to leave me any post/topic recommendations, I would LOVE to see what you all want to read.